About Us

Since 1938, we have manufactured the highest-quality linear heat detectors for the special hazard industry. Learn more about our 80-year history in fire protection and how it all began.

Corporate History

In early April of 1938, Gerald and Sarah Holmes tested, patented, and trademarked their fire detection system and the Protectowire Company Inc. was born.

Protectowire began with the invention of linear heat detection in 1938, marking a pivotal moment in the realm of fire detection technology. Protectowire pioneered advancements in linear heat detection, setting new standards for reliability and efficiency. The company’s unwavering focus on research and development allowed it to adapt to evolving industry needs, staying ahead of the curve in addressing the unique challenges posed by special hazard environments. As a result, Protectowire’s linear heat detectors became synonymous with cutting-edge solutions that provided early fire detection, crucial for preventing catastrophic events

1938
Invention
Invention

Gerald and Sarah Holmes tested, patented, and trademarked their fire detection system in their barn at the river house, and the Protectowire Company, Inc. Was born. The first sample runs were installed in River House.

1942
Patented and Approved
Patented and Approved

The Protectowire Company is registered, products are patented, given FM approval. Early Protectowire installs are with the US government in military sites during the build-up to World War 2.

1946
UL Approval
UL Approval

Protectowire receives UL Approval. The first marketing slogan is coined “Save Life & Property from Fire with Protectowire.”

1953
Supply Chains Established
Supply Chains Established

Gerald Holmes meets John E. Sullivan who becomes the legal council for the company. Gerald & Sarah Holmes and John & Carol Sullivan develop the business, setting up supply chains and expanding applications.

1980
Acquisition
Acquisition

John and Carol Sullivan acquire the River House property and The Protectowire Company.

1992
Passing the Torch
Passing the Torch

John Sullivan passed away and his son Andrew Sullivan assumed the position of company president.

2003
The Barn
The Barn

The Protectowire barn – part of the River House property – is where W. Gerald Holmes and Sarah Canfield Holmes conducted their experiments that led to the invention of the original Protectowire heat detection product. The Protectowire barn was razed in 2003 and a new horse stable was built on the site.

2005
International Expansion
International Expansion

Protectowire establishes a warehouse in Amsterdam.

2011
New Headquarters
New Headquarters

Protectowire builds new headquarters on property adjoining the River House property, to streamline production processes and build offices and training facilities. Our mission is to invest heavily in research and development and provide unparalleled support to the distribution network.

2023
85th Anniversary
85th Anniversary

In 2023 Protectowire celebrated 85 years in business! Protectowire hosted an event to celebrate with colleagues at the NFPA show in Las Vegas.

ISO 9001

Protectowire FireSystems is dedicated to delivering products designed, engineered, manufactured, and tested with the highest degree of performance, reliability, and quality.

Our third-party independently reviewed and approved ISO-9001:2015 Quality Assurance Program forms the basis of our quality commitments. Our quality commitment assures that our products and services are reliable and efficient while conforming to required statutory, environmental, and safety regulations and to maintain customer satisfaction at the highest economic level.

THE INDUSTRY LEADER IN LINEAR HEAT DETECTION SINCE 1938